BANGKOK — Intra-regional trade among Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) member states should increase from 25 percent at present to 40 percent of its total trading value in order to ensure sustainable growth, ASEAN secretary-general Surin Pitsuwan said Tuesday.
Speaking at the ASEAN Business Forum on “Toward AEC 2015: Where we are now?”, Surin said that following the development of infrastructure and trade facilitation, non-ASEAN enterprises are looking for increasing trade and investment opportunity in the region, driven by strong growth path.
ASEAN enterprises should urgently enhance their competitiveness and infrastructure to ensure business growth.
He urged ASEAN to increase the intra-regional trade from only US$400 billion, which is rather small compared to its trade with the world which amounts to US$1.7 trillion. Each ASEAN member must cooperate by seriously liberalizing its market, increasing connectivity and eliminating non-tariff barriers instead of competing against each other. This will help boost trade in the region and help achieve the single market goal by 2015.
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
- Making women in leadership a norm
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116