5 April 2012: While change is taking place in Burma, the ITUC has expressed serious concerns that governments may prematurely remove sanctions on the country before there is evidence of real progress on labour rights, human rights and the rule of law.
Ending sanctions now, before necessary reforms are in place, could jeopardize the hopes of Burmese people for a better future. Further, new international investment in the absence of rule of law and public accountability will not support Burma’s long-term economic and social development but likely contribute to continued human rights violations.
“Some important steps have been taken in Burma, but forced labour and other gross human rights violations continue apace. The interests of the Burmese people must take precedence over the interests of global business. The international community must support and encourage reform, and only remove sanctions when there is real and measurable progress on democracy, workers’ rights and the rule of law.” said ITUC General Secretary Sharan Burrow. –http://www.ituc-csi.org/burma-despite-progress-too-soon.html
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
- Making women in leadership a norm
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116