Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) Undersecretary Alicia Bala has been appointed as deputy secretary general the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Secretariat for three years.
In a news release on Thursday, the DSWD said Bala, DSWD Undersecretary of Operations and Programs Group, will hold her ASEAN post from September 8, 2012 to September 7, 2015.
“Undersecretary Bala was chosen because of her extensive knowledge and commitment to the promotion and protection of human rights, particularly children, through leadership, advocacy, policy and program development, negotiation skills and integrity beyond reproach,” the DSWD said.
Before being appointed to the ASEAN post, Bala served as Philippine representative for children to the ASEAN Commission for the Promotion and Protection of the Rights of Women and Children (ACWC).
She previously headed the DSWD’s Policy and Programs Group of the DSWD, and was the National Project Director of the DSWD’s National Household Targeting System for Poverty Reduction (NHTS-PR).
Bala also represented the DSWD in various international conferences on children.
DSWD Secretary Corazon Soliman said they will miss Bala for temporarily leaving the DSWD.
However, Soliman said “we are proud that a DSWD official was appointed to this prestigious post.”
Soliman also said they expect Bala to promote social protection in the entire ASEAN region. – VVP, GMA News
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
- Making women in leadership a norm
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116