VIENTIANE (VNS)— Viet Nam has urged ASEAN countries to strengthen the role of women in protecting the environment and dealing with climate change.
Speaking at the first ASEAN Ministerial Meeting on Women held in Vientiane, Laos, yesterday, Viet Nam’s Minister of Labour, War Invalids and Social Affairs Pham Thi Hai Chuyen said there was a need to strengthen co-operation between ASEAN countries and UN organisations to further the role of women.
The meeting, titled Strengthening gender perspectives and partnership among ASEAN women for sustainable environment, focused on assessing the implementation of the ASEAN Committee on Women’s projects until 2015 and plans to promote gender equality, women’s rights and social equality in the region.
It also confirmed a commitment to push for the inclusion of gender issues in the building of the ASEAN Social-Culture Community.
The meeting issued a statement pledging to improve women’s knowledge and skills in environmental conservation and adaptation to climate change. — VNS
- ASEAN bolsters cooperation in human rights
- FTA between China’s Hong Kong, 3 ASEAN nations to take effect in June
- Asean in 2040: Bolder and stronger?
- Asean unions and employers find common priorities to protect migrant workers
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES