10-12 December 2014, Jakarta, Indonesia
The ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) with the assistance of the LO-FTF Council, the Danish trade union council for international development co-operation, through the ITUC – Asia Pacific reviewed policy options for trade unions in the bilateral and regional free trade agreements (BRFTAs). Learning from union experiences in the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and the European Union integration, ATUC reassessed the ASEAN Social Charter in light of key development in BRFTAs and in ASEAN regional economic integration.
The meeting resolved to hasten ATUC actions at the national and regional levels for the amendment and adoption of a strengthened ASEAN Social Charter to ensure that bilateral and regional free trade agreements enshrine labor rights and ILO core standards, and truly result in inclusive growth and a “caring and sharing community”. The meeting also identified specific actions on FTAs, the ASEAN Social Charter and migrant labour by ATUC and its affiliates.
- ASEAN bolsters cooperation in human rights
- FTA between China’s Hong Kong, 3 ASEAN nations to take effect in June
- Asean in 2040: Bolder and stronger?
- Asean unions and employers find common priorities to protect migrant workers
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES