TOKYO – Nearly 80 per cent of companies operating in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations see growth opportunities in the bloc’s planned economic integration this year, shows a US survey.
However, almost half of the Indonesian businesses polled see the creation of the ASEAN Economic Community as a threat to their business.
Boston Consulting Group conducted the survey last year on about 150 companies either headquartered or active in ASEAN countries.
Asked about whether the launch of the AEC is an opportunity or threat, 29 per cent of the respondents called it a “significant opportunity,” and 49 per cent saw it as “somewhat of an opportunity,” for a total of 78 per cent in the optimist camp. Only 2 per cent characterized the move as a “threat,” while 7 per cent called it “somewhat of a threat.”
Companies in Malaysia were the most upbeat about the integration, with a combined 90 per cent calling it either a “significant opportunity” or “somewhat of an opportunity.” In Singapore and Thailand, 81 per cent of the respondents were optimistic.
Read the full report here.
– See more at: http://business.asiaone.com/news/majority-businesses-optimistic-about-asean-economic-integration-survey#sthash.j8udghLq.dpuf
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
- Making women in leadership a norm
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116