The Migrant Workers’ Rights Network has demanded five conditions from the Thai Ministry of Labour, Employment and Social Welfare on Tuesday.
The conditions include giving passports to Myanmar immigrants inside Thailand or at border areas after their visas expire, negotiations between the Thai and Myanmar governments over visa extensions and to allow visa extensions for workers inside Thailand or at border areas.
The remaining two demands seek to ease the process of issuing passports to pink-card holders and to ensure transparency in all procedures to protect migrant workers from over-charging and exploitation.
The Migrant Workers’ Rights Network was formed in 2009 in Mahachai with an aim of protecting Myanmar expats in Thailand and to ensure their basic labour rights. The network now has 4,511 members.
The Myanmar Embassy in Thailand takes between four and six months to issue a passport to a migrant worker, while it only takes 10 days inside Myanmar.
The network has urged the embassy to adopt a more time-efficient procedure for issuing passports to Myanmar migrant workers in Thailand.
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
- Making women in leadership a norm
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116