He however did not reveal the cause of death.
“We regret to inform that MTUC president, Mohd Khalid Atan who was in service since 2011, passed away this morning.
“MTUC is deeply saddened by the loss of the most credible individual who gives priority to the interests and welfare of workers,” said Gopal in a statement today.
Meanwhile, Liyana Mohd Khalid, the daughter of the late MTUC president, her father fell in the bathroom of a hospital.
“We are handling the documentation of the late Khalid and the hospital. We are waiting for our siblings to arrive and if there are no unseen circumstances, the funeral will be held after Zohor,” said Liyana when contacted by Awani.
Khalid, 63, was first appointed by the Congress as its president in 2011 and was reappointed in 2013.
MTUC president Khalid Atan dies
“I was told that he fell in the bathroom,” MTUC secretary-general N Gopal Kishnam said when contacted.
Gopal said the funeral will be held at his home at 92, Jalan Permata 2, Taman Permata, Selangor this afternoon.
Khalid was 63.
Final rites will be performed at the Taman Permata surau.
His remains will be buried after Asar prayers at the AU4 Muslim cemetery.
He was first elected as the MTUC president in 2010 and re-elected in 2013.
- Asean unions and employers find common priorities to protect migrant workers
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
- Asean official meets ATUC, receives ATUC Bali Declaration
- ATUC leaders meet in Bali, adopt Declaration on key concerns of labour in Asean
- ATUC youth joins conference on reducing youth unemployment and the future of work
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES