He however did not reveal the cause of death.
“We regret to inform that MTUC president, Mohd Khalid Atan who was in service since 2011, passed away this morning.
“MTUC is deeply saddened by the loss of the most credible individual who gives priority to the interests and welfare of workers,” said Gopal in a statement today.
Meanwhile, Liyana Mohd Khalid, the daughter of the late MTUC president, her father fell in the bathroom of a hospital.
“We are handling the documentation of the late Khalid and the hospital. We are waiting for our siblings to arrive and if there are no unseen circumstances, the funeral will be held after Zohor,” said Liyana when contacted by Awani.
Khalid, 63, was first appointed by the Congress as its president in 2011 and was reappointed in 2013.
MTUC president Khalid Atan dies
“I was told that he fell in the bathroom,” MTUC secretary-general N Gopal Kishnam said when contacted.
Gopal said the funeral will be held at his home at 92, Jalan Permata 2, Taman Permata, Selangor this afternoon.
Khalid was 63.
Final rites will be performed at the Taman Permata surau.
His remains will be buried after Asar prayers at the AU4 Muslim cemetery.
He was first elected as the MTUC president in 2010 and re-elected in 2013.
- Japan to revamp checks on foreign workers
- ASEAN countries could face $320 Bln healthcare challenges within 2025
- These are five sticking points to a new Nafta deal
- China’s vast intercontinental building plan is gaining momentum
- Malaysia plans special court on human trafficking as cases soar
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116