The representatives of the Arab Trade Union Confederation (ArabTUC), South Asia Regional Trade Union Confederation (SARTUC), and ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) identified five priority actions for the protection of migrant workers in a meeting on 17-18 May 2016 in Bangkok, Thailand:
- Campaign for the ratification and application of ILO migrant labour conventions;
- Sharing of information on activities through websites and social media;
- Establish information centres or Migrant Resources Centres for networking, awareness, pre-departure orientation and post-arrival programmes and direct services by unions;
- Organising migrant workers in both destination and origin countries; and
- Building the capacity of affiliates’ focal points for labour migration and a common ASEANTUC/ ArabTUC/ SARTUC Information System on Migrant Workers.
In his opening remarks, Brother Noriyuki Suzuki, General Secretary of the International Trade Union Confederation – Asia Pacific (ITUC-AP), echoed ITUC-AP’s continued support in implementing the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on protecting migrant workers signed by the three organisations in Kochi, India in August 2015. The MoU’s rights-based approach put trade unions at the forefront of advancing the rights of migrant workers.
The three organisations’ accomplishments and on-going initiatives on labour migration and the actions in the MoU reflected the five priority actions. Their representatives will discuss these with their governing bodies and agreed to report progress of implementation in their next meeting.
With the support of ITUC-AP, two representatives each from ArabTUC, SARTUC, ATUC and ITUC-AP participated in the meeting.
- ASEAN bolsters cooperation in human rights
- FTA between China’s Hong Kong, 3 ASEAN nations to take effect in June
- Asean in 2040: Bolder and stronger?
- Asean unions and employers find common priorities to protect migrant workers
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES