Vietnam is one of the three countries in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) along with the Philippines and Indonesia to have the most migrant workers, said the Ministry of Labor, Invalids and Social Affairs (MoLISA) on Monday.
Some 500,000 Vietnamese labors are working in over 40 countries and regions worldwide, said the MoLISA at an international conference on informal laborers, migrant workers and healthcare issue in the ASEAN.
The conference held Monday in Vietnam’s central Thue Thien-Hue province, some 540 km south of capital Hanoi, drew participation of over 200 delegates from Cambodia, Laos, Germany, Myanmar, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam, reported the state-run news agency VNA.
Representatives at the conference discussed labor competitiveness, rights of laborers in the wave of labor mobility among ASEAN countries, risks and diseases of migrant workers, low-skilled labors in ASEAN among others.
They came to a conclusion that in the coming time, workers should be further protected by using sample labor contracts with detailed terms in labor safety and hygiene for migrant workers, said VNA.
Reposted from Global Times, http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1017822.shtml
The views and opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the ASEAN Trade Union Council.
- Renewed partnership to push for ‘decent work’ in Asean
- Weak labour productivity a threat to ASEAN’s potential
- H&M, Gap to probe violence, sex abuse in Indonesian and other Asian factories
- Unions expand into unfamiliar terrain as organizing turns to smaller workplaces
- Ministry to review nod for skilled foreigners
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116