IGITAL economy will be a key priority for Asean next year as Singapore takes over chairmanship of the regional bloc, the city-state’s Minister for Trade and Industry (Trade), Lim Hng Kiang, said on Thursday.
Singapore will also focus on trade internationalisation measures such as introducing a region-wide certification regime, even as Mr Lim urged economies to not turn inwards but remain open to trade and investment.
“The solution to sluggish growth lies not in closing off markets, but keeping markets open for unimpeded trade and investment flows,” said Mr Lim at the opening of the Asean Conference 2017, jointly held by Singapore Business Federation, UOB, Rajah & Tann, and RSM.
Current Asean chair Philippines will pass on the regional grouping’s chairmanship to Singapore in 2018.
“During our chairmanship year, Singapore intends to pursue a set of tangible and meaningful economic deliverables. We hope to tap on opportunities from global mega trends, such as the digital economy and trade facilitation,” said Mr Lim. By Soon Weilun.
The views and opinions expressed in this article do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the ASEAN Trade Union Council.
- Japan to revamp checks on foreign workers
- ASEAN countries could face $320 Bln healthcare challenges within 2025
- These are five sticking points to a new Nafta deal
- China’s vast intercontinental building plan is gaining momentum
- Malaysia plans special court on human trafficking as cases soar
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116