Competition for infrastructure financing is heating up in Asia. China is investing billions in mega-infrastructure projects under President Xi’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI) as well as designing new financing mechanisms beyond the Bretton Woods institutions. Against this backdrop, the Asian Development Bank (ADB) now faces the challenge of reforming itself and remaining competitive as.. read more →
Malaysia released guidelines on useful laws and practices related to the employment of foreign domestic workers (FDWs). The guidelines were adopted in consultation with Malaysian employers and a team of advisors in a collaboration project between the International Labour Organization and the Malaysian Ministry of Human Resources. The guidebook underlines giving priority to welfare, rights.. read more →
Illegal migration is rife in Southeast Asia and it’s big business for people smugglers who ruthlessly exploit the region’s porous borders. The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime estimates that more than 80 per cent of people who’ve slipped across borders in the region have done so with the aid of smugglers. The trade.. read more →
Criticized globally for its treatment of migrant workers, the United Arab Emirates is on track to improve conditions for domestic staff with a proposed new law praised by human rights organizations on Thursday. A new bill, passed by the Federal National Council on May 31 and now awaiting presidential approval, will give domestic workers 30.. read more →
The future of work is one of the biggest industry buzzwords at the moment. With 260 million hits on Google in May 2017, this only confirms its undeniable relevance. It’s crazy to think that twenty years ago the technology that my startup was built upon did not exist; neither did the flexible work structures, environments,.. read more →
- Labor mobility in Asean: Free or unfree?
- Philippines to host Asean Youth Conference 2017
- Opportunity for young workers: XXI World Congress on Safety and Health at Work, 3 – 6 September 2017, Singapore
- Bloomberg: American chipmakers outsourced a toxic problem
- The Asean economic community-hood: Still a work in progress
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 3 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116