Who we are
- To represent the collective interests of workers in ASEAN countries at all appropriate policy-formulating and decision-making forums;
- To function as a collective and cohesive body to promote the well-being of workers in ASEAN countries.
- To network and interact with ATUC affiliates with regards to common issues affecting workers;
- To undertake research, education and training programmes for labour activists from ATUC affiliates;
- To help ATUC affiliates increase their membership levels through mutual cooperation and assistance;
- To hold periodic meetings with a view to identifying common problems, challenges and issues and finding solutions for them in the true spirit of unity and solidarity.
The organizational meeting of the ATUC was held in Manila, the Philippines in 1994. General meetings held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in May 1995, in Bali, Indonesia in November 1997, in Hanoi, Vietnam in July 2000, adopted important Declarations
Aside from these General Meetings, the ATUC, in collaboration with the International Labour Organization (ILO), International Trade Union Confederation-Asia Pacific (ITUC-AP) and other fraternal organizations has periodically conducted seminars, conferences, forums and workshops from time to time on important labour issues.
ATUC Officers (2017-2021)
President: Bro. Abdul Halim Mansor
President, Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC)
General Secretary: Bro. Ruben D. Torres
President, Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP)
Bro. John de Payva, Singapore National Trades Union Congress (NTUC)
Bro. Said Iqbal, Konfederasi Serikat Pekerja Indonesia/Confederation of Indonesian Trade Unions (KSPI/CITU)
Bro. Maung Maung, Confederation of Trade Unions – Myanmar (CTUM), 2017-2019
Bro. Pongthiti Pongsilamanee, State Enterprises Workers’ Relation Confederation (SERC), 2017-2019
Bro. Zito Da Costa, Konfederasaun Sindicatu Timor Leste/Timor Leste Trade Union Confederation (KSTL/TLTUC), 2019-2021
Bro. Ath Thorn, Cambodian Labour Confederation (CLC), 2019-2021
Ex-Officio Vice Presidents:
Co-Chairs of Women and Youth Committee (Committee to be established in 2018)
Deputy General Secretary: Bro. Cedric R. Bagtas
General Secretary Emeritus, Trade Union Congress of the Philippines (TUCP)
What They Say About Us
- Working through the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC), a number of labor groups from Southeast Asia have proposed the ASEAN Social Charter, which they see …
- Labour rights do not feature prominently on ASEAN’s agenda, but the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is pushing for a social charter and a framework for the protection of migrant workers.
- ASEAN22 : The ASEAN Social Charter was designed by the ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) and labour-friendly NGOs as a social counterpart to ASEAN’s economic
c/o Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
No. 2 Kalaw-Ledesma Circle, Tierra Verde 2, Tandang Sora, Quezon City 1116