Who we are
The ASEAN Trade Union Council (ATUC) is a regional grouping of 18 national labor centers and confederations in ASEAN member states except Brunei but including Timor Leste. Representing 13 million members, it was established in 1983 in Manila to collectively represent voices and interests of workers in the ASEAN processes.
- To represent the collective interests of workers in ASEAN countries at all appropriate policy-formulating and decision-making forums;
- To function as a collective and cohesive body to promote the well-being of workers in ASEAN countries.
- To network and interact with ATUC affiliates with regards to common issues affecting workers;
- To undertake research, education and training programmes for labour activists from ATUC affiliates;
- To help ATUC affiliates increase their membership levels through mutual cooperation and assistance;
- To hold periodic meetings with a view to identifying common problems, challenges and issues and finding solutions for them in the true spirit of unity and solidarity.
General meetings in various ASEAN countries have adopted important Declarations.
Aside from these General Meetings, the ATUC, in collaboration with the International Labour Organization (ILO), International Trade Union Confederation-Asia Pacific (ITUC-AP) and other fraternal organizations has implemented activities on important labour issues.
ATUC Officers (2017-2021)
President: Bro. Abdul Halim Mansor
President, Malaysian Trades Union Congress (MTUC)
General Secretary: Bro. Ruben D. Torres
National Trade Union Center Philippines (NTUC Phl)
Bro. Chun Fing Yeo, Singapore National Trades Union Congress (NTUC)
Bro. Andi Gani Nena Wea, Konfederasi Serikat Pekerja Seluruh Indonesia/Confederation of All Indonesian Trade Unions (KSPSI/CAITU)
Bro. Maung Maung, Confederation of Trade Unions – Myanmar (CTUM), 2017-2019
Bro. Pongthiti Pongsilamanee, State Enterprises Workers’ Relation Confederation (SERC), 2017-2019
Incoming Vice Presidents:
Bro. Zito Da Costa, Konfederasaun Sindicatu Timor Leste/Timor Leste Trade Union Confederation (KSTL/TLTUC), 2019-2021
Bro. Ath Thorn, Cambodian Labour Confederation (CLC), 2019-2021
Ex-Officio Vice Presidents:
Co-Chairs of Women and Youth Committee (Committee established in 2018)
Bro. Robert Ivan Herrera (NTUC Phl), Co-Chair for Youth
Sis. Sunday Pheng (CLC), Co-Chair for Women
Deputy General Secretary: Bro. Cedric R. Bagtas
Honorable General Secretary, NTUC Phl
- ASEAN bolsters cooperation in human rights
- FTA between China’s Hong Kong, 3 ASEAN nations to take effect in June
- Asean in 2040: Bolder and stronger?
- Asean unions and employers find common priorities to protect migrant workers
- Asean unions relaunch online complaints mechanism for migrant workers
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES