Internship opportunities: Labor migration, workers’ rights and campaigns
The ATUC’s online internship program offers an opportunity for students and young professionals to gain an understanding of the technical areas that the ATUC and its affiliates deal with.
Term: 4 or 6 months. Flexible hours
Workload: Full-time (40h/week) / Part-time (20h/week)
- Monitor and analyze international media in Asia/Pacific and ASEAN;
- Write news analysis concerning labor migration and workers’ rights for posting in ATUC website and social media accounts;
- Identify opportunities for strong campaigns affecting workers’ rights, including migrant workers’ rights, in ASEAN;
- Assist in delivering media strategy to win key campaigns and help build the reputation of ATUC through consistent media actions;
- Develop media relationships with editors and senior journalists to introduce ATUC work and statements on pressing issues in ASEAN;
- Write press releases and op-eds with strong messaging, reports and background notes.
Qualifications and experience
- Have completed or completing a Master Degree or enrolled in an equivalent program (preferably in ASEAN Studies, Economics, Industrial Relations, International Political Economy, International Relations, Political Science or related discipline);
- Excellent writing skills in English; knowledge of one other language in ASEAN would be an asset;
- Knowledge of current international affairs, labor migration, political and economic issues;
- Familiarity with Asia/Pacific region and ASEAN;
- Flexibility and ability to work in a small but international structure;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Reliability and ability to work remotely;
- Dynamic and well-organized, with an eye for detail;
- Good interpersonal skills;
- Superior computer skills and ability to web-edit is an asset;
The internship may require travel to participate in ATUC activities. Travel expenses may be subsidized. In general, travel expenses, including visa fees, to and from the place of activity will be the responsibility of the intern should the intern decide to attend an ATUC activity. Interns shall also be responsible for their own insurance for illness and accidents.
Internships are not paid. Students with internship as part of their academic requirements and those looking for their education and career development are encouraged to apply.
Applicants for an internship should ideally be ASEAN nationals or students of an academic institution in an ASEAN country. Alternatively, applicants should be able to demonstrate a capacity to identify and understand the interest and concerns of trade unions in any specific issues.
Start and end dates are flexible. Applications may be submitted on an on-going basis with an indication of the periods of availability.
To apply, please send your cover letter and CV in English via e-mail to coordinator(at)aseantuc.org with the subject “Application for Internship”. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
c/o National Trade Union Center Philippines
Suites 8 N & O, Future Point Plaza 2, 115 Mother Ignacia St., South Triangle, Quezon City 1103, PHILIPPINES